The mission of the Massachusetts Art Education Association (MAEA) is to advance high-quality visual arts education throughout the state by empowering art educators to excel in the practice, instruction, promotion, and celebration of visual art.
Current work underway:
- Developed and published the MAEA Guidelines For Visual Art Education in Response to The Covid-19 Pandemic.
- Developing additional professional development opportunities outside of conference. Ran our first PD this summer – Wicked BooksmART Book Group.
- Established the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Task Force and are currently aligning the NAEA ED&I recommendations to MAEA and developing new MAEA ED&I recommendations.
- Developing and implementing the creation of the ED&I Committee.
- Art Education Zoom series is being planned for monthly sessions. The August session is planned to be a studio session.
- The Conference Committee is working on locations for the 2021 and 2022 conference, which is held annually in November.
- Planning is underway for the 2021 MAEA Recognitions exhibit, as well as other exhibit opportunities.
- Continuing to work on ways to reach our membership from Western to Eastern MA.
- Continuing to develop a policy manual, with the intention of having a draft by February, 2021.
MAEA liaises with the following organizations:
- Art All-State Massachusetts
- Berkshire County Arts Educators Professional Learning Network
- Cape Cod Art Education Association
- Institute of Contemporary Art – ICA
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- Massachusetts Artists Leaders Coalition – MALC
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design
- Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts – MCLA
- Massachusetts Cultural Council
- Massachusetts Department of Education
- Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art – MASS MoCA
- Museum of Fine Arts – MFA
- New Bedford Art Museum/Artworks!
- North Shore Art Teachers Association
- University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Worcester Art Museum
- VSA Massachusetts